Born between the 1980s-2000s? Welcome to one of the largest generations in history, the Millennials. Essentially, the Millennial generation grew up right after Generation X, in the era of technology and innovation.
Statistics from Goldman Sachs state that they are the most digitally connected generation- 44% use text messaging as one of the main ways to communicate with others.
Why is this important? Millennials are different from prior generations and they are actively influencing workplaces and the social culture around them. The change from generation to generation shapes the way all individuals interact and work together.
Every generation is associated with a set of characteristics that describe how they interact with others, their work and their personal life. These attributes are based on the environment and lifestyle that the generation experiences as they grow up.
Millennials flourished in the age of technology and innovation, where the world was more diversified, and the culture was filled with entrepreneurship and high education.
Here are some of the key characteristics that Millennials share:
- Technologically savvy
- Highly educated
Generational Values and Aspirations
Social, political and economic environments change depending on which generation is emphasized. The Silent generation born between the years of 1927-1945, experienced the Korean and Vietnam wars. The Baby Boomer generation is career driven and focused on “working up the ladder.” Generation X is very entrepreneurial and individualistic, focused on moving away from written to digital knowledge.
The Millennial generation may carry over some similar characteristics from their previous generations, but they also vary in how they interact with others as well as what they aspire to in their personal and professional goals.
When it comes to work, Millennials value:
- Collaborative: appreciate a more team work oriented environment, where everyone shares responsibilities to achieve success in a work or personal environment.
- Work-life Balance: value their happiness over financial gains by asking for flexibility at work and wanting to have a role in positively affecting the social world.
- Open Communication: benefit from honest conversations and feedback surrounding their work and achievements to increase personal growth in the future.
- Advancing Career: loyal and committed to their job if they receive the appropriate opportunities to grow and move up in the company.
- Adaptability: due to the increase in online and digital resources during this generation, Millennials can easily adapt to changes either in a social or work environment.
Millennials are a motivated, tech savvy and resourceful generation committed to achieving success in their careers and personal lives – equally so to previous generations but in different ways and in a different world!