The links below have been compiled to help job seekers through every stage of their job search. Whether you want to research local job opportunities, prepare for an interview, learn your rights as a worker in Ontario or develop practical skills, these resources can help. Click any of the links below to find out more:
The COVID-19 situation is rapidly changing. To help you stay informed we’ve put together a list of some key government information sources related to COVID-19, employment, and benefits:
- Canadian Economic Response plan (individuals): includes support for families, seniors, people facing unemployment, people who are unable to work, students and recent grads and more.
- Canadian Economic Response plan (businesses): includes work-sharing program, access to credit, extended income tax period and more
- Ontario newsroom: latest news releases from the provincial government
- Ontario’s Action Plan: Responding to COVID‑19
Job boards and job search
- Apprenticeship search – A job board by the Ontario College of Trades to help you find apprenticeships and jobs in the trades.
- Trades fact sheets – Information about each trade including a job description and training requirements.
- Trades, apprenticeships and certifications – Information about trades, apprenticeships and certification in Ontario.
- Starting an apprenticeship -Information about how you can qualify and apply to be an apprentice.
- Preparing for an apprenticeship – Information about how to prepare for training through one of three programs offered in Ontario.
- Finishing an apprenticeship – Information about what you get when you finish an apprenticeship and next steps.
- Budget calculator – An easy-to-use web tool for creating a personal or household budget.
- Financial literacy database – A guide to personal financial literacy, including tips & tools for budgeting, and knowing your rights.
- Goal setting mistakes – An article from MindTools.com about common mistakes people make when setting life goals.
- Main sources of stress among workers – A report from Statistics Canada about the relationship between stress and income in Canada.
Community and Recreation
- Driver’s licence – Information about attaining an Ontario driver’s licence.
- Food Banks Canada – Information about finding and accessing Canada’s Food Banks.
- Food bank locator – An interactive map to help you find your nearest food bank.
- Statutory holidays – A calendar of the 10 legal holidays in Ontario.
Disability and the workplace
- AODA guidelines – Information about the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA).
- Workplace roles fact sheet – Facts about the duties of employers, unions, and workers in relation to people with disabilities.
- Guide to the Disability Tax Credit – This guide from TurboTax explains the disability tax credit, the approval process, and how to claim the credit when filing your taxes.
Education and Skills Development
- High school courses – Information about high school courses in Ontario.
- Ontario colleges – Information about colleges, programs and diplomas in Ontario.
- Bridge training programs – Information about bridge training programs for internationally trained professionals.
- Health Care Connect – A government service to help you to find a family doctor.
- Ontario Health Insurance Plan – Information about Ontario healthcare, including eligibility.
Job interviews and resumes
- Common interview mistakes – Tips and examples from an HR professional about five common mistakes of interviewing.
- Common interview questions – A guide to common interview questions, and how to answer them.
- Grammar guide – A reference guide for learning or brushing up on your grammar skills.
- Interview preparation – An overview of job interview preparation techniques.
- Resume help – A guide to writing a basic resume.
- Resume tips – Nine common mistakes in resume-writing.
- Steps to Justice – Information on what employers can ask you about your criminal record.
Language and Literacy
- English as a second language – Information about finding and accessing English language training.
Maintaining mental health
- Managing anger – Tips and techniques for managing anger.
- Managing anxiety – Advice for handling both day-to-day and long-term stress from the Anxiety and Depression Association of America.
- Managing stress – An archive of stress-related articles, covering topics like coping with long work hours and life changes.
- Ontario Mental Health Helpline – Contact information for the Ontario Mental Health Helpline–an organization that provides emotional support, and can connect you to publicly funded mental health services.
- Positive visualization – Information on the benefits of positive visualization when preparing for job interviews.
- LinkedIn – A popular social media platform specifically for professional networking.
- Canadian industry information – A list of industries and professional associations in Canada, organized by industry.
- Canadian professional associations – A list of professional associations across Canada, organized by province.
- Employment Profile – Information about outcomes and satisfaction to help people choose programs at Ontario’s publicly-funded colleges.
- Ontario job futures – Information on current trends and future outlooks for around 200 occupations common to Ontario.
- Post secondary education – An overview of post-secondary education options, such as college, university, and certificates.
- Dunning-Kruger effect – A summary of “why we overestimate our competence”.
- Finding your strengths – A guide and quiz for identifying and making the most of your talents, knowledge and skills.
- Healthy choices – An overview of healthy lifestyle choices including information about nutrition, activity, and hygiene.
- Holland Code career test – Information about the “Holland Career” codes, and an online version of the quiz.
- Holland Code careers – Information about careers specific to “Holland Career” codes.
- Learning styles – Information about different learning styles, including an online learning styles assessment.
- Problem solving strategies – Description of more than fifty problem-solving techniques.
- Settlement.org – Resources and information for newcomers to Ontario.
- Settlement agency database – A list of settlement agencies in Ontario that can help recently-landed immigrants.
Workplace Communication and Conflict resolution
- Active listening – An overview of “active listening”, including benefits and techniques.
- Assertiveness vs aggression – A explanation of the difference between “assertiveness” and “aggression”.
- The Center for Nonviolent Communication – Information about nonviolent communication and how to practice it in your own life.
- Conflict resolution skills – Techniques and scenarios for successful conflict resolution.
- Tolerance at work – An overview and tips for tolerance in the workplace.
Workplace Health & safety
- Employment Standards Act guide – A guide to the ESA 2000, with details about minimum wage, holidays, overtime, and more.
- Employment standards tools – Tools to help you calculate overtime, vacation pay and holiday pay.
- Ministry of Health contact – Contact information for reaching the Ministry of Health to report untended hazards, etc.
- Ontario Human Rights Commission – A guide to reading the Ontario Human Rights Code.
- Social Justice Tribunals Ontario – Information on how to file an application with the Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario if you have experienced discrimination or harassment.
- Workplace violence – Information about harassment and violence in the workplace from the Ontario Ministry of Labour.
Workplace Skills and training
- Belbin team roles – Information and exercises on the topic of teamwork from the official website of the Belbin Team Roles theory
- GCF Learn Free – An online resource for learning software skills, math, literacy and more.
- Khan Academy – A free resource for a variety of online training and elearning programs.
- Leadership styles – Information about leadership styles including a self-assessment quiz.
- Leadership ability quiz – A 5-minute quiz to help assess your leadership potential
- Typing skills – An online test to measure your typing skills.
- Skill Plan, Measure up – Practice and test essential workplace skills.
- Understanding essential skills – Definitions of the nine essential workplace skills, from the Government of Canada.
Job bank resources
Connect to the Government of Canada resources to search for Canadian jobs, explore careers and labour market trends.
Steps to Justice resources
Information on a range of legal subjects including immigration, housing and employment law.
These external links are provided to job seekers as a convenience and do not constitute an endorsement by VPI Working Solutions. VPI Working Solutions is not responsible for any of the content of external sites.