“My connection with the horses is based on respect, unconditional love, kindness, and patience,” says Janeen Lalsingh, a longtime thoroughbred groom who began working as a groom at Woodbine in 2002. Lalsingh has a connection with all five horses that she grooms and has developed a fondness for working with the young Thoroughbreds. She believes that anyone who has an affinity for animals should consider a career in the Equine industry because there is excitement in this sport, but you stay for the love you have for animals.
Take your first steps to a career in the equine industry with expert training and job placement support! All you need is a passion for horses, let’s get started together.
VPI Working Solutions is proud to announce that the Ontario Equine Education and Employment Program (OEEEP) is back for 2023, after a successful summer in 2022. This program allows barn owners to find knowledgeable employees and recent graduates for their business operations to find stimulating employment within the equine industry.
This program is supported by Equine Guelph and in partnership with the Ontario government through the Ministry of Labour, Immigration, Training and Skills Development. The Ontario Harness Horse Association (OHHA) created this free program for participants to learn about horse care and welfare through a six-week training course taught by equine experts.
The next program begins on May 1st, 2023. To apply, please register here before April 27th. Space is limited!
Covered in Virtual/live class meetings:
- The Horse Anatomy, Physiology, Gaits and Behaviour
- Basic Handling and Safety Skills and daily management
- Horse Health and Disease Prevention
- Nutrition and Facility Management
- An introduction to the Ontario horse industry and employment
Eligibility and Suitability:
- Passion/Interest in working with/caring for horses
- Unemployed or underemployed
- Not in full time education/training
- 15+ years of age
- Ontario resident and legally entitled to work in Ontario
Benefits of the Equine Program:
- Building Connections within the Equine Industry
- Job placements for new graduates
- Learn from Equine Industry experts